Sunday, October 18, 2009

Your First Turkey Trot - A Challenge

Getting Started: Your First 5K

The Turkey Trot Challenge


This past spring, I ran my second half marathon. This fall, I signed up to run a full marathon next spring. But, long, long before any of these feats was even a twinkle in my eye, I had to start running. I’d always enjoyed long walks, but once, in the middle of a walk, I decided to see how far I could run. I couldn’t even run a half mile. That day, I finished my walk and decided I would try to run again the next time I walked. And, I did. I would walk for a few minutes, then run for as long as I could, until I was running a half mile, then a mile at a time, then two miles, then two and a half miles, then three miles…It was all very gradual over one summer. That, my friends, was the start of a beautiful love affair with running.

My friend and neighbor in Albuquerque heard I’d started running and challenged me to run the Turkey Trot with him. I took Darrell up on the challenge, and having a goal that I was working towards was a huge motivator to be consistent with my runs. That first race, I didn’t even know there were training programs. I just set out to run, and run a little further each time I ran until I knew I would be able to run a whole 5K – 3.1 miles. I ran that first Turkey Trot pretty slowly, but I was proud of myself for having finished it, and started to look for other races so that I would always have a goal to keep running.

In the 11 years since my first Turkey Trot in Albuquerque, I have only missed one, and that was because I was in Aruba. I’m running the Mile High Turkey Trot this Thanksgiving, in fact. It is my very favorite Thanksgiving tradition. The atmosphere is fun and familial, and it allows me to feel less guilty about the feast later in the day.

Since we have about 6 weeks until Thanksgiving, I thought I’d issue a challenge, just like the one Darrell gave me. If you’ve ever thought about running, or wondered what it’s like to participate in a race, now’s your time! Sign up for the Turkey Trot in your area, and start training!


Here’s a list of Turkey Trots…there’s definitely one near you!

http://www.active.com/running/turkeytrot/


Here’s a plan to get you started:

http://www.runnersworld.com/images/cma/beginner5k_table.jpg


And, here’s one of my very favorite training companions:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html

DJ Steve Boyette even has a series called “First Day to 5K” – Perfect! http://dailyburn.com/workout_programs/90756-Podrunner-Interval-Workout-First-Day-to-5K


All the Grubby Details:
How Far – 5K, 3.1 miles, about 35 minutes.
Time Commitment – For the next five weeks, plan on walking/running for at least 10 minutes a day, three or four days a week. Build slowly. Add a few minutes to your time each time you go out.

Misery Index – Low to Moderate – There’s a phrase for the euphoria runners feel when the endorphins kick in – “Runner’s High.” It’s amazing. But, there will be days when every step is a struggle. The important thing is to move past the hard days and be consistent with your running. Don’t give up! Everyone has a rough day.
Intimidation Index – Moderate to High – 3.1 miles seems like a long, long way from the comfort of your couch. But, especially for your first 5K, your goal could be simply to finish it. If you give yourself permission to finish the race with your best effort, you will be less intimidated because you gave it all you had. Remember, you have to start from where you are. Honor where you are and begin. You will be in a completely different place once you finish the race. Who knows, you could end up deciding you love running and want to run another 5K.

Dog Friendliness - Depends on how fit your dog is. I see people running with their dogs all the time. I also see poor dogs lumbering behind their owners, struggling to keep up. See how your dog does, and don’t take them if you just need a companion.
Equipment needed to start – A pair of shoes and a good pair of socks. Socks can make a HUGE difference in the comfort of your run, so be sure you don’t wear cotton socks! Many high quality running stores can help you pick out a shoe that fits your gait and fitness level, as well as your budget. In the Denver area, Road Runner Sports has a seven-step process that will put you in the perfect shoe – and you can return it if you take it out for a run and decide you don’t like it.

I would also recommend a shirt that wicks. You will probably sweat some during your run, and with the crisp fall air, you want to keep that moisture away from your skin.
Equipment to upgrade if you find you like it – Oh, the options are endless. Running tights, head lamps, fancy sunglasses, heart rate monitor, water bottle holders, visors…

Now, get out there and do it! I know you can!

GG

Gabby, Dan, Nicole and Grubby Girl after our first half marathon.


No comments:

Post a Comment